Explore Scientific Carbon Fiber 102mm APO ED Refractor - OTA
If you are looking for an apochromatic (APO) triplet refractor that is professional-grade, portable, extremely lightweight and also durable, then the Explore Scientific Carbon Fiber ED102 Triplet APO is definitely worth considering. This 102mm APO refractor uses EMD-coated optics, and includes a heavy-duty, 2-speed focuser, a 99% dielectric coated 2” diagonal (with a 1.25” adapter), and two focal extenders.
The Explore Scientific ED 102mm F/7 APO is also highly versatile telescope, given its size and weight. Not only will you be able to take advantage of high-quality optics for your astro imaging, (although, we do recommend using a field flattener!), you can also use it for astronomical and terrestrial observations, or even use it as a finder/guider scope on a larger rig. This sheer size and weight (7 lbs) of this scope (similar to many other 102mm refractors) both make it quite the multi-purpose scope.
Why Buy The Explore Scientific ED 102mm APO Triplet Refractor?
- Carbon Fiber OTA - Not only does this carbon fiber scope offer a significant reduction in weight from its aluminum counterpart, it is also resistant to expanding and shrinking (affecting the optics' focus) due to temperature fluctuations.
- Small and Versatile - Bigger doesn’t always mean Better! 102mm refractors are portable in general, and so is this scope. It is 23.75” long (with the collapsed dew shield) and 7lbs, making this scope quite versatile. This ED 102mm APO Triplet can be used as your main bird, or even as a (really, really nice) finder/guider scope for your larger setup. You could even piggyback this telescope on a Newtonian or SCT. Don’t forget, you could also use it as a spotting scope for great terrestrial (daytime) viewing!
- Virtually No Chromatic Aberration - This APO Triplet Refractor scope is great for both observing and astro imaging (especially with wide-field framing). You’ll really notice the omitted chromatic aberration with lunar and planetary visuals. Note: If you are starting to get serious with astrophotography, we recommend getting a field flattener to reduce unwanted curvature in your shots.
- Heavy-Duty Focuser - The included, Rack & Pinion focuser is strong and reliable. It is dual speed, 360-degree rotatable (to help frame your shot), and includes graduation marks (helpful if you are needing to return to the same focus). Note: You’ll notice that a lot of the weight of the scope will actually is come from the back, especially with a 2” eyepiece or a DSLR attached!
- Optics Are ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) and EMD Coated - This scope yields crystal-clear results with it's Hoya FCD1 ED optics. Glass like this is particularly advantageous with lunar and planetary imaging.
- Zero-Hassle Camera Attachments - Attaching your imaging equipment and accessories is a breeze, no matter the size or weight. Easily place a modified DSLR or a smaller CCD astro-imaging camera on the back.
The Explore Scientific 102mm Carbon Fiber Triplet Refractor Includes:
- 102mm APO Triplet Refractor Telescope (Optical Tube Assembly)
- 2” Dual Speed, Rack & Pinion Focuser
- 2”, 99% Dielectric Diagonal
- Built-in Dew Shield. (It is not removable)
- Focal extenders (x2)
- Compression rings are used to avoid marring on the eyepiece and diagonal.
- DOES NOT INCLUDE a finder or guide scope.
- DOES NOT INCLUDE hard carrying case.
- Weight: 7 lb
- Focal Length: 714mm
- Focal Ratio: f/7
- Aperture: 102mm
- Limiting Magnitude: 12.5
- Resolution: 1.14 arcsec
- Scope Length (Extended Dew Shield): 26"
- Scope Length (Collapsed Dew Shield): 23.75"
- Dovetail: Vixen